Monday, June 02, 2008

Reduce and Reuse in Lunches

Using less and reusing are themes I’ve tried to weave into our everyday lives.

I use cloth bags for grocery and shopping trips, reusable water bottles that don’t leach plastic into the water on our hikes and put food in containers to limit wax paper bag use (no plastic).

Today I received a lunch system organizer (www.laptoplunches.com) that fits into our insulated lunchboxes. It came with a book, “The Laptop Lunch User’s Guide,” by Amy Hemmert and Tammy Pelstring. The book addresses reducing trash generated by school children.

According to Hemmert and Pelstring, each elementary age child bringing disposable lunches to school is responsible for 67 pounds of trash during the school year.

I have taken on the challenge to reduce our output even more -- two kids at a time.

Tonight I made their first lunches with the new containers. I can cut down on carbs by serving the protein in a variety of ways – rolling the organic deli meat with rice cheese inside for one son. Or cutting cheese sticks and sausages into bite sized pieces served on a toothpick. I found some great ideas in the blog, www.lunchnugget.com, where lunches have aesthetic appeal take on an art form.

This system makes things simple. Fresh fruit, meat and vegetables are easily housed here with the occasional cookie or chips. I just need to have healthy options available.

Though they don’t always work.

At the pool today one of my son’s friend had a package of mini donuts. My son was drooling for a taste. I had a banana in my bag, which he refused. He knew he had an option though and if he were truly hungry, he’d have gobbled that banana up.

I am considering purchasing McDonald’s Happy Meal toys separately to occasionally put into these lunches. Despite all of my efforts to explain how unhealthy fast food is for them, I can’t compete with a Speed Racer Mach 5 toy car.

No comments: